2010-03-25

Telstra and a Free Telephony Future

You can go to Helstra
Article by The Age columnist, John Birmingham
Link: http://www.theage.com.au/opinion/blogs/blunt-instrument/you-can-go-to-helstra/20100324-qwom.html

Here's what I just sent to The Age, Melbourne's broadsheet newspaper (do they still have "broadsheet newspapers?) regarding:
John Birmingham V Telstra

(I forgot to include, for John's amusement, the welcome note I've had on my Telstra prepaid mobile phone for a few years now, which is displayed when I turn the phone on, which reads "Hell? Oh..., Telstra!"

But, for some weird reason, Telstra has provided me with constant and reliable service of the last few months? Perhaps my whinging has been "heard", and perhaps my complaints to "higher authorities" have hit home. Check my blogsite for posts around the months before Sol Trejillo was packed-off back to Mexicamerica, and you might see a few connections to those upstairs I seem to have?)

Here's the Comment to John Birmingham:

Well done, Comrade!
As times and IMF government's change, so too will ALL telcos' grip on telephony!
With the likes of Skype rising, I see a future, not far ahead, where it will be inviable for corporations to profit from our communications needs.
Thus, as is the case for those who are savvy to the technology and what is on offer, phone-calls will be free. FREE!
All these charges and fees to use the modern techno-methods only exist because, in our ignorance, we let the corps get away with it.
Most of the day's media technology, TV, phones, radio etc, are money-machines for those who can concentrate the expertize, ie., corporations.
Wise and Good Government recognises that such necessary utilities, such as public transport, energy, roads, sewerage and water, etc, and I include TV and radio in "utilities" today, rightfully belong in the hands of not-for-profit PUBLIC (yes, government) hands.
Commerce must be allowed of course, so in terms of communications, the "carrier hardware and systems" belong in public ownership, as Telstra was before the Howard tyranny.
But first we have to elect, or by REVOLUTION, institute GOOD DEMOCRATIC government!
Role on the 2010 federal election!
I vote for the colour of the Heart Chakra!
Aum...

Omaxa